Persian Kittens ® Responsible Breeding Statement!
Responsible Persian Cat breeders are individuals who have focused their efforts on one or a select few breeds and through breeding, historical research and ongoing study, mentoring relationships, club memberships, showing, raising and training of these breeds have become experts in the breed’s health, heritable conditions, temperament and behavior. Responsible Cat Breeders are well suited to educate and screen potential buyers/adopters and provide follow-up support after purchase or adoption. Responsible Cat Breeders take lifetime responsibility for the animals they have bred.
Responsible Persian Cat Breeders
- Never sells kittens to a dealer or pet shop.
- Screens breeding stock for heritable diseases and removes affected animals from
breeding program. Affected animals may be placed as pets as long as health issues
are disclosed to buyers/adopters
- Removes aggressive animals from breeding program.
- Keeps breeding stock healthy and well socialized.
- Never keeps more kittens than they can provide with the highest level of care, including
quality food, clean water, proper shelter from heat or cold, exercise, socialization and
professional veterinary care.
- Has working knowledge of genetics and generally avoids inbreeding.
- Bases breeding frequency on mother’s health, age, condition and recuperative abilities.
- Does not breed extremely young or old animals.
- Only breeds and raise kittens in the home, where they are considered part of the family.
- Ensures neonates are kept clean, warm, fed, vetted and with the mother until weaned;
begins socialization of neonates at three weeks of age.
- Screens potential guardians; discusses positive and negative aspects of animal/breed.
- Ensures animals are weaned (eight to ten weeks of age) before placement.
- Offers guidance and support to new guardians.
- Provides an adoption/purchase contract in Plain English that spells out the breeder’s
responsibilities, adopter’s responsibilities, health gurantee and return policy.
- Provides accurate and reliable health, vaccination and pedigree information.